This page provides my résumé in HTML. For a PDF or Word formatted copy, please submit a request through my contact form along with a description of the request.
mcdonald928 at gmail.com
530 Stockton St #301
San Francisco, CA 94108
——- Experience over a decade at building and managing relationships of trust with clients and business stakeholders in digital product development and launches for highly visible brands.
——- Demonstrated leadership ability in aligning business, design, and engineering on product goals, requirements, designs, and roadmaps, resulting in accurate project estimates and successful product launches.
——- Graduate level training in scientific method, statistical analysis, and logical analysis of data and reasoning (M.Ed. Science), applied in product development to create successful business outcomes for apps and sites downloaded and trafficked by millions of users.
——- Trained in human cultural and behavioral analysis (“human factors”) in the use of media technologies (B.A. Media Studies), and have applied this knowledge and interest repeatedly in business to create delighting end-user experiences with media & technology products.
——- Best practices knowledge and proven talent in crafting product UI & UX designs behind apps and sites downloaded and visited by millions of users.
UX Designer, UX Practice Consultant
October 2013 – Present
201 Spear St, San Francisco, CA
- User Research
- Business & User Requirements Gathering
- Information Architecture
- Interaction Design
- Interface Design
- Current project is to design a global human resources portal for Flextronics International, Ltd. Flextronics is an international electronics supply chain solutions company offering design, manufacturing, and distribution services to OEMs including Apple, Cisco, Ford, Hewlett-Packard, and Intel. The human resources portal design includes a kiosk interface specially designed to facilitate self-service use by direct labor employees working in manufacturing facilities without personal computers. The desktop and kiosk interface designs for the portal are informed by extensive research into Flextronics’s global human resources departments, helping develop a design solution that balances the differing needs from US, Mexico, Europe, India, China, and other global locations.
Senior Manager, Mobile Products
September 2011 – September 2013
770 Broadway, New York, NY | 395 Page Mill Rd, Palo Alto, CA
- Manager for The Huffington Post, Moviefone, Aol Autos Research, and Mosaic mobile web products
- Direct communication with executives to gather, define, and help prioritize the business requirements; applied product design frameworks resulting in a clear and solid foundation of business strategic goals with user goals.
- Create product spec and wireframes; collaborate with cross-functional teams of designers and engineers to finalize specs and realistic dev roadmaps, resulting in accurate project estimates, effective teamwork, and meeting deadlines.
- Use data and experiments to inform and decide product feature priorities.
- Drove Scrum/Agile product dev sprints coordinating editors, designers, and programmers; manage backlog using collaborative systems VersionOne and JIRA; help engineers solve implementation problems.
- Launched critical new features and internationalized editions of The Huffington Post mobile site, a mobile user workflow for Aol Autos Consumer Research, and a Moviefone product redesign featuring a best-in-class movie finding tool.
- Envisioned and drove a wholly new product initiative called Mosaic, a next-generation mobile and touch-based consumer web dashboard; co-designed a new interaction model; defined use of HTML5 for a device-independent, touch-based web UX (user experience) on phone and tablet browsers; managed research, organizing remote and in-person usability groups to test product ideas and prototypes; managed email list and marketing communications for alpha users, gathering user feedback; executed a lean startup model with a small, integrated team, iterative development, quicker prototyping and hypothesis testing, with continuous consumer usability data to revise and improve the product solution.
http://m.huffingtonpost.com (requires smartphone)
http://m.autos.aol.com (requires smartphone)
http://m.moviefone.com (requires smartphone)
Prototyping Manager, UX Designer, Mobile Products
Viacom Media Networks
May 2007 – August 2011 (4 years 4 months)
1515 Broadway, New York, NY 10036
- Helped lay foundation for new smartphone products organization and processes that resulted in mobile apps business growing from inception to over $2mm in annual revenue.
- Manage relationships with brand executives at MTV, Nickelodeon, VH1, Comedy Central, and Spike. Engage regularly with brand representatives to assess business goals, user problems, offer creative solutions, gather and define requirements.
- Responsible for direct communication with Apple in coordinating our roadmap and iTunes Store launches; incorporated critical Apple feedback; engaged in persistent communication that resulted in getting our products featured on the iTunes homepage, driving large numbers of downloads.
- Write product specs and create UI wireframes; collaborate with cross-functional teams of designers and engineers to finalize product design spec and a realistic development roadmap.
- Drive execution of product dev with internal, offshore, and external vendor engineering teams; manage backlog in collaboration systems like Basecamp and JIRA to execute Agile development sprints; work with engineers to solve implementation problems.
- Provided wireframes for UX (user experience) and IA (information architecture) on 40 apps I was directly responsible for; helped produce over 100 apps launched across multiple platforms, including Google Play Store, Apple iTunes Store, and Samsung TV widgets store. Major projects include MTV News, MTV Music Meter, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Dora the Explorer, SpongeBob, and others.
- Developed and pitched innovative product concept for interactive TV users; accompanies broadcast viewing with real-time audience participation via Twitter and mass data visualization.
Senior Designer, Art Director
Endai Worldwide (marketing agency)
2003 – 2007 (4 years)
217 Water Street, New York, NY 10038
- Helped grow the clientele and revenue for this startup full-service online marketing agency.
- Conceptualized integrated marketing campaigns for clients that included website, banner advertising, e-mail, print, and interactive kiosk components.
- Nominated for MSN Web Creative Award on ad campaign for the Roomba robot vacuum.
- Managed relationships with major clients. Successfully pitched new initiatives to clients, adding to significant growth of the business. Recognized by clients for excellent communication, interpretation of needs, and delivering strong results on projects for national and international brands, including the Canadian Tourism Commission, Citibank, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Provident Financial Services, and Roomba home robotic appliances.
Developer, User Interface
Metiom (e-commerce platform provider)
2000 – 2002 (2 years)
One Liberty Plaza, New York, NY 10006
- Helped establish this startup by creating a more user-friendly, consumer-style interface to their B2B e-commerce procurement platform.
- Developed methods for automating the application of business customer branding elements across multiple software products. This included research and development in early use of CSS to streamline web-based UI branding.
Designer, Graphic & Web Design
iBeauty.com (fashion & commerce site)
1999 – 2000 (1 year)
New York, NY
- Created web site designs, online advertising, and various marketing and presentation materials.
University at Buffalo, SUNY — M.Ed., Science, 2012
School of Visual Arts, NY — Studies in Fine Arts and Design, 2001-2003
University at Buffalo, SUNY — B.A., Media Studies, 1997
This page provides my résumé in HTML. For an Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word formatted copy, please submit a request through my contact form, and please specify the desired format. Thanks!